After reading chapter 3, I have a new perspective on student collaboration. It was interesting me how the difference between collaboration and cooperation was pointed out. I had not really ever thought of the two as different concepts. I have always used the terms interchangeably. Collaboration refers to students working together from the beginning of the task to the end to reach a common goal. In cooperation, however, the students are more dividing and conquering and then returning to each other at the end to put their individual work together. I would definitely agree that collaboration is the more effective of the two.
After reading this chapter, I also thought about the group projects we are completing for this course. The group I am in is truly collaborating on each aspect of the projects. We are all learning together and helping each other together. Through the use of google docs, we are able to communicate effectively and quickly with each other—another concept highly talked about in this chapter. Students must have a way to conduct two-way communication and get their ideas across.
I like that this chapter takes teachers step by step through the planning process for a collaborative project. Among the things mentioned were that teachers should teach students how to work together and how to listen to each other. As adults, we know that without communication and listening everything falls apart and the work suffers. We can take for granted that kids understand these difficult concepts. They truly have to be trained how to do these things.
This chapter really gave me a lot to think about prior to planning my next collaborative project!
Egbert, J. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: Essentials of classroom practice. Columbus: Pearson.
Blog Reflection 3
16 years ago
I agree with you that students need to be trained to collaborate and communicate effectively. When students first enter the 6th grade, we work diligently on this. As 6th grade teachers, we feel it is time well spent, because students will use the skills through middle school and into high school. It helps to enrich learning and create better products.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI thought about our group also, and realized we are collaborating and cooperating but the major emphasis is on collaboration. The planning process helped me to start the process of taking these great ideas and websites and beginning to place them into use in my classroom.
ReplyDelete