Reflecting on using VoiceThread:
I must admit that at the outset of this project, I was not excited. I did not view VoiceThread as something I would ever use in my classroom. It seemed like it required too much creativity for someone like me who has to really stretch to get creative. I also thought it looked somewhat tedious to put together. In summary, my attitude was not in a good place. However, once I started fiddling around with VoiceThread, I realized that (a) it was much simpler to put together than I first thought, (b) the creativity is in the tool itself, and (c) there were many educational uses for this program. There is so much that can be done with VoiceThread to build community amongst the students. It would be a great way to take some of the pressure of me as a teacher and to allow the students to assist each other. I also see it as a valuable tool to assist with writing. Students could go here to experiment with language, tone, mood, style, etc. And, again, they could collaborate with and assist each other. For this project I built a VoiceThread that gives the students a place to work on showing what they are writing rather than just telling what they are writing. Click here to view it. (If you are unable to viewing it by clicking, copy and paste this URL into your browser Voicethread.com/share/595054/)
My one regret after this whole thing is that VoiceThread is blocked at my school.
Article Summary:
Carvin, A. (April 25, 2008). Slideshare and VoiceThread: Not your father’s filmstrip. Retrieved from
http://www.pbs.org/teachers/learning.now/2008/04/slideshare_and_voicethread_not_1.html.
In this article, the author states that he gets bored with watching PowerPoints as they have sort of become the easy way of presenting information these days. Therefore, he begins looking into SlideShare and VoiceThread as a way to communicate and build a community. For the purposes of this summary and reflection, I will focus solely on his comments regarding VoiceThread.
As previously stated, Carvin grew weary of watching information consistently being presented on PowerPoint. Upon discovering VoiceThread, Carvin realized that the same information could be passed through this more interactive site. While he does feel that VoiceThread doesn’t necessarily offer much more depth than a PowerPoint, he does note that VoiceThread at least allows for students to record feedback so that everyone gets to participate and bounce ideas off of each other. He also mentions that VoiceThread allows for ongoing dialogue—which is of utmost importance.
As I see it, I think that Carvin hit the idea of VoiceThread head on. While I do think that there can definitely be more depth to a VoiceThread than Carvin does, I love that VoiceThread at least allows for continuous interaction among students and teachers. When students leave a classroom in which a PowerPoint has been presented, all the comments and discussion around that PowerPoint leave as well. In contrast, when a VoiceThread is used as the presentation tool, students can record their discussions and they become permanent, allowing the students to listen to them over and over. This allows for a better opportunity for learning to stick.
Blog Reflection 3
16 years ago
I hate to admit it, but my attitude about the project was the same as yours at the beginning. It didn't take long to discover how easy VT really is and how simple it will be to implement it in the classroom. I can't wait to start using it in my social studies and science classes. Have you asked your technology specialist (or whoever it is at your school in charge of things like that)if it can be unblocked? Maybe you could offer to train a few people on how to use it as an incentive...After all, you already have access to a workshop plan that is ready to use. :)
ReplyDeleteJessica, I really like your Voice Thread. I hadn't even thought about adding some text comments instead of all recorded comments. At first it is a little difficulty to fully understand what the student's task is. I think that an introduction of some sort would help clear up that. I really like how all of your images were different from each other. Some images appeared to be collages and some like polaroids. I think this really keeps the audience interested. Really great job!
ReplyDeleteThis tool would engage students and encourage them to be better writers. The picture in the paragraph about Claudia and the snow initially covered the picture, but then I finally got to see it. The comments are good examples of colorful, expressive writing. I love the variety of writing samples and pictures. There are many possibilities with this VoiceThread.
ReplyDeleteJessica -- I like that you provided a direct link to your voice thread example as well as the actual URL for copy and paste. We always need to anticipate our potential audience and make it easy for them to access our technology based resources.
ReplyDeleteDr. B