Monday, October 19, 2009

Movie Maker article

Bayuk, R. (2009, August 21). Why showing movies in class is a good thing. Teacher tech: Ideas and resources for your classroom. Retrieved on October 19, 2009, from http://blogs.msdn.com/teachertech/archive/2009/08/21/why-showing-movies-in-class-is-a-good-thing.aspx.

Bayuk argues that we should not even try to fight the urges of the our students’ (or “digital natives” as he calls them) technological natures. He maintains that today’s kids are captivated and motivated by gaming systems and other technologies. Why fight it? To tap into this interest, he suggests using Windows Movie Maker as a learning tool for students. One of its biggest selling points is that this an easy program for the students to use and then share with their peers and teachers—or even worldwide for that matter. He also mentions that this would be a great motivator for students and an even greater way for them to demonstrate learning while engaged in the learning process. The amount of planning and thought that students would have to put into the project prior to the creation of the movie—alone—would get their higher-level thinking skills going. Links are also provided for different sites you can visit for ideas on using Movie Maker in your classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your article that students want game-like learning. I just viewed a webinar that makes just that statemnet. Engaging and motivating students is critical to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the term "digital natives." I do find it ironic though that many of my students are very frustrated when we try to create digital stories. At the middle school level many of them should have had enough interaction with technology that they are able to pick up on little things, yet most of them cannot. I find that I am usually the expert when creating technology projects and not my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you noticed, while you were creating your project you caught yourself spending a great deal of time on the editing portions of the project? How do you think I can alleviate this situation with my students? I don't want them to get too bogged down and not complete their projects.

    ReplyDelete