Creating this Moviemaker project was, by far, my favorite project to date for this class. It allows me to put so many elements into one medium. At the very beginning, I was a bit frustrated as I was just learning the software. However, once I got going, I found myself moving speedily along. The “help” function was very helpful to answer any questions I might have. I can see how it would be easy to get sucked into the minutia of all this program has to offer.
This is something I would definitely consider having my students use. I can see my students creating autobiographies of themselves. They could narrate their fictional writing and put pictures with it. It would be a great way to do a collaborative project with the other teachers on my team. Plus, it would be an alternative to PowerPoint!
This moviemaker project was created as an introduction to the historical events surrounding the novel Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor. It is very hard for students to dive into this novel that encompasses the Jim Crow Laws, segregation, the Great Depression, and sharecropping. They need background knowledge to help the novel make sense to them. This would also be an excellent presentation for use with diverse populations. Much of the movie is visual, so, for example, my ELL students should be able to grasp the historical background based on the images shown in the presentation.
Click here to view my project. If the link does not work, then copy and paste this URL into your browser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRa1fEiNz0M
Blog Reflection 3
16 years ago
Moviemaker is an excellent tool to give your students the background knowledge you want them to have for the novel. The pictures will give them a visual to remember as the story progresses.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you enjoyed making your movie. I was very impressed with your movie. I too, find Movie Maker fairly simple to use and I always use the help menu.
ReplyDeleteYour movie reminded me how much I love that book! It has been so long since I read it. This project has been a lot of fun for me, too. I feel a lot more comfortable with Movie Maker now, and I think that things will be much smoother next time I use it.
ReplyDeleteI thought your images were so powerful. We talk about slavery and Jim Crow laws, but until the students see concrete examples I dont think they understand the hardships and despair people faced.
ReplyDelete