Monday, October 26, 2009

Blog Entry 9

Chapter 7 (Supporting Learning with Technology by Joy Egbert) really stuck out to me the most (pp. 183-189). This chapter focused on student production. I like that this chapter indicated that there were all different types of project-based learning to be found. It made me feel better knowing that, while I might have very different ideas about a project than another teacher, it doesn’t mean either one of us is better or more effective. Teachers need to tailor their students’ projects to their teaching philosophy. This chapter also really delineated the benefits to having students produce projects. Students are forced to think, visualize, conceptualize and plan. Students are, ultimately, responsible for their learning. Very often, students are working in groups when engaged in these projects; therefore, this allows for kids to build their communication skills and leadership skills. Finally, I like that the authors give us permission to feel guilty that projects take up time, time that is taken away from the pressures of meeting national mandates of standardized testing. They acknowledge this, which makes their thoughts more valid for me. The state that time and practice will help teachers become better at implementing and streamlining project-based learning.

1 comment:

  1. I too, like the fact these projects force students to take ownership and use higher order thinking skills. The collaborative aspects also help in building interpersonal skills.

    ReplyDelete