I thought a lot of myself as I read this chapter on eLearning. The benefits and disadvantages (pp.213-215) really stuck out for me in this chapter because one has to really consider both side before venturing into the world of eLearning. Not all types of eLearning are suitable for all people. Advantages included flexibility and control, responsibility, exposure, interaction, anonymity/equity, and convenience. When I think of myself in this Ed.S. course the biggest of these advantages for me is interaction. I feel I interact much more through an online course than I ever would in a face-to-face course. In an online forum, everyone can contribute. There is no raising of hands and waiting one’s turn. Everyone gets to speak. As a result, I have learned a tremendous amount about teaching and technology from my peers. On the flip side are the disadvantages, which include difficulty meeting learner’s needs, lack of technical support, inability to participate due to lack of computer access, teamwork becomes complicated, information overload, and lack of timely feedback. Through my own experience with this Ed. S. program, I can see how each of these disadvantages comes in to play. For me, personally, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.
I have to agree with you, for all the stress and heartache, the benefits outweigh the difficulties!
ReplyDelete